Shibpur Botanical Garden, KolkataShibpur Botanical Garden, also known as the Indian Botanic Garden, is a botanical garden located in Shibpur, Howrah, near Kolkata, West Bengal, India. It is one of the oldest and largest botanical gardens in South Asia. Here’s some information about Shibpur Botanical Garden:
HistoryThe garden was established in 1787 by Colonel Robert Kyd, a British botanist and military officer. Initially, it served as a center for collecting and researching various plant species. Over the years, it expanded and became a significant institution for botanical studies.
LocationShibpur Botanical Garden is located on the western bank of the Hooghly River, opposite the Botanical Garden metro station. Its address is Botanical Garden Road, Shibpur, Howrah, West Bengal, India.
Area and LayoutThe botanical garden covers an area of around 273 acres (110 hectares). It is divided into different sections and features diverse plant collections, pathways, ponds, and lawns.
Plant CollectionShibpur Botanical Garden is renowned for its rich collection of plants, including rare and exotic species. It houses over 12,000 living plants, including various trees, shrubs, climbers, herbs, and aquatic plants. The garden is particularly famous for its extensive collection of palms, orchids, and bamboos.
Great Banyan TreeOne of the main attractions of Shibpur Botanical Garden is the Great Banyan Tree, which is considered the largest banyan tree in the world. It has a massive canopy that covers an area of about 18,918 square meters, with an intricate network of aerial roots.
Herbarium and ResearchThe garden has a herbarium that houses a vast collection of preserved plant specimens for botanical research and study. It also serves as a research center for various plant-related studies and conservation efforts.
Landscaping and FeaturesThe botanical garden features well-maintained pathways, lawns, and ponds, creating a serene and picturesque environment. It offers opportunities for leisurely walks, picnics, and photography.
Visitor FacilitiesShibpur Botanical Garden provides facilities such as benches, restrooms, drinking water, and a small cafeteria for visitors’ convenience. There are also guides available who can provide information about the garden and its plant collections. Shibpur Botanical Garden offers a peaceful retreat from the bustling city, allowing visitors to explore and appreciate the diverse plant life in a beautiful natural setting. It serves as an important center for botanical research, conservation, and education in the region. You might interested: Unique Tourist Places To Visit In Kolkata and Nearby Area
Information about Shibpur Botanical GardenLocation: Shibpur, Howrah, West Bengal 711103 Timing: Tuesday – Sunday (10 am to 5 pm) Monday Closing Day Entry Fee: INR 10/- per person
Things to do at Shibpur Botanical GardenHere are some things you can do at Shibpur Botanical Garden:
- Explore the vast garden: Take a leisurely stroll through the botanical garden and explore its vast expanse. Enjoy the tranquility of nature as you walk along the tree-lined paths and discover the various plant collections.
- Visit the Great Banyan Tree: One of the main attractions of Shibpur Botanical Garden is the Great Banyan Tree, which is considered the largest tree of its kind in terms of the canopy area it covers. Take a walk under its expansive branches and marvel at its grandeur.
- Discover diverse plant collections: The botanical garden is home to a wide variety of plant species from around the world. Explore different sections of the garden, such as the Palm House, Orchid House, and Cactus House, to admire the diverse and beautiful plant collections.
- Enjoy a picnic: Shibpur Botanical Garden provides ample open spaces and lawns where you can enjoy a picnic with family or friends. Bring along some food, snacks, and a blanket to relax and unwind amidst the greenery.
- Take a boat ride: The garden has a lake where you can rent paddleboats or rowboats. Enjoy a serene boat ride on the calm waters and soak in the natural beauty surrounding the lake.
- Attend educational programs: Shibpur Botanical Garden conducts educational programs and workshops on topics such as gardening, plant conservation, and environmental awareness. Check their schedule to see if there are any programs or workshops happening during your visit.
- Birdwatching: The botanical garden is home to a variety of bird species. Bring along your binoculars and camera to observe and capture the beauty of the avian residents that inhabit the garden.
- Capture photographs: With its scenic landscapes, lush greenery, and unique plant specimens, Shibpur Botanical Garden offers fantastic opportunities for photography. Capture the beauty of nature and the stunning flora found in the garden.
- Learn about plant conservation: The botanical garden plays an important role in plant conservation and research. Take the opportunity to learn about their efforts in preserving and protecting endangered plant species.
- Visit the museum: Shibpur Botanical Garden houses a museum that showcases botanical artifacts, herbarium collections, and informative exhibits. Explore the museum to learn more about the history and significance of the garden.
FAQs on Shibpur Botanical Garden, Kolkata
Shibpur Botanical Garden, also known as Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Indian Botanic Garden, is a botanical garden located in Shibpur, Howrah, near Kolkata, West Bengal, India. It is one of the oldest and largest botanical gardens in India.
Shibpur Botanical Garden was established in 1787. It has a rich history and has been a center for botanical research and conservation for more than two centuries.
Shibpur Botanical Garden is home to a diverse collection of plants, trees, and flowers from various regions. Some of the main attractions include the Great Banyan Tree, Palm House, Orchid House, Cactus House, and the Royal Botanic Garden. The garden also has a large lake, a small zoo, and a library.
Yes, guided tours are available at Shibpur Botanical Garden. The garden authorities sometimes organize guided tours to provide visitors with insights into the plants, trees, and the garden’s history. It is recommended to inquire about the availability and timings of guided tours in advance.
Yes, photography is allowed in Shibpur Botanical Garden. Visitors can capture the beauty of the garden, its plants, and its surroundings for personal use. However, commercial photography or the use of professional equipment may require prior permission from the garden authorities.
Yes, Shibpur Botanical Garden provides parking facilities for visitors. There is a designated parking area where you can park your vehicle while visiting the garden. However, parking availability may vary during peak hours or busy days.
Yes, Shibpur Botanical Garden has a plant nursery where visitors can buy a variety of plants, including ornamental plants, flowering plants, and medicinal plants. There is also a small souvenir shop where visitors can purchase botanical-themed souvenirs and memorabilia.