Agra is famous for its historical and architectural wonders, particularly the Taj Mahal. This iconic marble mausoleum was built by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his wife Mumtaz Mahal, and it is widely considered one of the most beautiful buildings in the world. The Taj Mahal is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and attracts millions of tourists every year.
In addition to the Taj Mahal, Agra is also home to other important Mughal-era monuments such as the Agra Fort and Fatehpur Sikri. The Agra Fort is a massive red sandstone fortress that was built by the Mughal emperor Akbar, and it contains several beautiful palaces and mosques, including the Jahangiri Mahal and the Moti Masjid. Fatehpur Sikri is an abandoned city located about 40 kilometers from Agra, which was built by Akbar and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Agra is also famous for its handicrafts, particularly its intricate marble inlay work and its leather goods. The city has a rich cultural heritage and is known for its cuisine, which includes delicious Mughlai dishes such as biryani and kebabs. All of these factors have contributed to Agra’s fame and its popularity as a tourist destination.
Places to Visit in Agra
Agra is a historic city located in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh in India. It is famous for its architectural wonders, particularly the Taj Mahal, one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Here are some other places to visit in Agra:
This iconic marble mausoleum was built by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his wife Mumtaz Mahal. It is one of the most visited tourist attractions in India and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Built by the Mughal emperor Akbar, this massive red sandstone fortress is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It contains several beautiful palaces and mosques, including the Jahangiri Mahal and the Moti Masjid.
This abandoned city was built by the Mughal emperor Akbar and is located about 40 kilometers from Agra. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and contains several beautiful buildings, including the Panch Mahal and the Buland Darwaza.
This beautiful tomb is also known as the “Baby Taj” because it was built before the Taj Mahal and is said to have inspired its design. It is located on the banks of the Yamuna River and is famous for its intricate inlay work.
This beautiful garden is located across the Yamuna River from the Taj Mahal and offers stunning views of the monument. It is also a popular spot for watching the sunset over the Taj Mahal.
This tomb is located in the suburb of Sikandra and is the final resting place of the Mughal emperor Akbar. It is a beautiful example of Mughal architecture and is surrounded by landscaped gardens.
This mosque is one of the largest in India and was built by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan. It is located near the Agra Fort and is known for its beautiful marble domes and intricate carvings.
Chini Ka Rauza
This tomb is located on the banks of the Yamuna River and is famous for its colorful tiles and intricate Persian-style architecture. It is the final resting place of the poet and scholar Allama Afzal Khan Mullah.
There are also several other attractions worth visiting in Agra, such as the Mughal Bazaar, the Ram Bagh Gardens, and the Soami Bagh Temple.
Explore nearby City: Best Places to Visit in Delhi
Things to do in Agra
Apart from visiting the famous monuments and historical sites, there are several other things to do in Agra. Here are some suggestions:
- Enjoy a Sunrise or Sunset View of the Taj Mahal: Witnessing the sunrise or sunset over the Taj Mahal is a breathtaking experience. The changing colors of the sky and the reflection on the marble monument make for a beautiful view.
- Explore the Local Markets: Agra has several bustling markets selling everything from handicrafts, marble items, and leather goods to street food. Some of the popular markets include Sadar Bazaar, Kinari Bazaar, and Taj Ganj.
- Try Local Food: Agra is famous for its Mughlai cuisine, which includes dishes like biryani, kebabs, and dalmoth. Sample these delicious dishes at popular restaurants like Pind Balluchi, Pinch of Spice, or Joney’s Place.
- Take a Heritage Walk: Agra has a rich history and culture, and taking a heritage walk can be a great way to explore the city’s hidden gems. Some of the popular heritage walks include the Mughal Heritage Walk, the Agra Walks, and the City on Pedals.
- Visit the Wildlife SOS Elephant and Bear Sanctuary: Located on the outskirts of Agra, this sanctuary provides a safe haven for rescued elephants and bears. Visitors can take a tour of the sanctuary and observe the animals in their natural habitat.
- Watch a Cultural Show: Agra has several cultural shows that showcase traditional music and dance forms like Kathak and Brij ki Holi. Some of the popular shows include the Kalakriti Cultural and Convention Center and the Mohabbat the Taj Show.
- Take a Bicycle Tour: Agra’s narrow lanes and old architecture make it a perfect city to explore on a bicycle. Several tour operators offer guided bicycle tours that cover the city’s famous monuments and hidden gems.
Visit nearby City: Explore Jaipur: The Best Places to Visit and Experience the City!
Unique activities in Agra
Here are some new activities that you can try in Agra:
- Hot air balloon ride: Experience the beauty of Agra from the skies with a hot air balloon ride. The ride usually lasts for an hour and provides a bird’s eye view of the city, including the Taj Mahal.
- Zipline over the Yamuna River: If you are looking for an adrenaline rush, try ziplining over the Yamuna River in Agra. The zipline is about 200 meters long and provides a thrilling experience.
- Segway tour of Agra: A Segway tour of Agra can be a unique way to explore the city. You can cover more ground in less time and get a chance to see some of the city’s hidden gems.
- Night viewing of the Taj Mahal: The Taj Mahal looks spectacular at night, and you can now experience it with a special night viewing tour. The tour usually lasts for about two hours and includes a guide and transport.
- Visit the Sheroes Hangout Cafe: Sheroes Hangout Cafe is a unique cafe in Agra run by acid attack survivors. The cafe provides a safe space for the survivors to work and interact with customers. It also serves delicious food and beverages.
These are just a few examples of new activities that you can try in Agra. The city has a lot to offer, and there are always new and exciting things to do and explore.