Welcome to Madras or Chennai. The city of Chennai is a very old city. It is a bustling Indian city with many beaches, British colonial architecture, newly developed markets and some of the oldest temples in the world. With its historical sites and buildings, long sandy beaches, cultural and arts centers and parks, Chennai offers visitors many best places in Chennai to visit. There are many best places to visit in Chennai where you can go on a solo trip or with friends and family members.This metropolitan city is one of the largest Indian cities which is located in the southern part of India. Here, let us check out some of the best places to visit in Chennai.
Best Places to Visit in Chennai
Government MuseumIt is a must visit places in Chennai which is offers to see the master pieces of art in bronze, different types of stones and work done in different centuries. There is also a good library here and students come to hang out there, discuss and learn various subjects among themselves. It is one of the oldest museums in the world. You need at least 3-4 hours to see all the exhibits properly. It contains various collections belonging to a wide variety of subjects and different centuries. Ticket Price: For Adults: – INR 15/-, Childrens: – INR 10/-, School Students: – INR 5/- For Camera: – INR 200/- and Video Camera: – INR 500/- Timings: – Every day is open 9:30 AM to 5 PM (Closed on Fridays and Government holidays) Nearby City to explore: Places to Visit in Bangalore with Friends and Family Members
This place is perfect combination of nature and religious things. It is a Catholic Latin Church located in the Santhome area of Chennai. Inside the church is calm and peaceful. There is a museum behind the church. You can spend some great time at here. Timings: – Every day is open 6 AM to 9 PM
Vivekananda HouseA must visit place in Chennai for spiritual seekers. The building houses a museum that gives a glimpse into Indian history, culture and the life of Swami Vivekananda. There is a short 3D film on Swami Vivekananda\’s speech at the Parliament of Religions in Chicago. Through various pictures you will get a lot of information about the life of Swami Vivekananda. Ticket Price: INR 30/- Timings: – Every day is open 10 AM to 12:30 PM and 3 PM to 7:30 PM (Except Monday)
Adyar Theosophical SocietyThe Theosophical Society in Chennai is one of those places where one can relax and connect with nature in the city. It has various temples and churches. Here, the main attraction is 450-year-old banyan tree which is spread over an area of about one acre. This place is best for couples who love nature. Ticket Price: No Entry Fee Timings: – Every day is open 8:30 AM to 4 PM (Except Sunday and public holidays)
Fort St. George MuseumIf you are passionate about history, then you should definitely stop by St. George\’s Museum during your stay in Chennai. Here you will learn a lot about Indo-British relations. This fortress was built by the British East India Company in 1640. It is one of the important Archaeological sites in India. Ticket Price: INR 20/- per adult Online Ticket Booking through Archaeological Survey of India Timings: – Every day is open 9 AM to 5 PM (Except Friday)
Perarignar Anna MemorialAnna Memorial, locally known as Anna Samadhi or Anna Square. Memorials of two leaders Anna and Karunanidhi are here. The structural view of the region was terrifying. Nice place to visit near marina. Ticket Price: No Entry Fee Timings: – Every day is open 6 AM to 7:30 PM
It is such a beautiful and serene place that gives an idea of how cultural and arts are deeply intertwined in the history of Chennai. One of the oldest temples in Chennai. If you are living in Chennai then do visit once with your family and friends and seek the blessings of Lord Shiva. Timings: – Every day is open 5 AM to 12:30 PM and 4 PM to 8 PM
Alamparai FortThis 17th century fort is situated between Chennai and Pondicherry. The fort is situated on the beach and very close to Mahabalipuram. It is very old but a wonderful place to enjoy some time. The beach is super clean and the view is beautiful. Here, the major attractions are the sea beach and the backwaters. It is very peaceful and serene and a good place to visit with family. Ticket Price: No Entry Fee Timings: – Every day is open 6 AM to 6:30 PM
Phoenix MarketcityIt\’s a huge market city in Chennai. If you want to buy some authentic branded products then you can come here. Nice place to spend time with our family and friends. Timings: – Every day is open 10 AM to 10 PM
Nexus Forum Vijaya MallIt is a huge mall to fulfill all your needs in one place. Lots of branded shops, outlets and restaurants are available here. A good place to hang out and shop or spend your time window shopping. Timings: – Every day is open 10 AM to 10 PM
Express AvenueExpress Avenue mall is one of the best malls in Chennai. You will find all the best brands under one roof. There is also an entertainment section including children\’s play area, video games etc. This is one of the best place for weekend with family and friends. Timings: – Every day is open 10 AM to 10 PM
Arignar Anna Zoological ParkThe whole zoo is about 8 to 9 kilometers. Great place to spend a day out with family or friends. The main attraction of this zoo is the natural habitat for the animals. Here you can hire Safari vehicle and cycle to roam all the part of this park. Ticket Price: INR 90/- for adults & INR 50/- for Children (Offline and online ticket available here) Timings: – Every day is open 9 AM to 5 PM (Except Tuesday)
Marina BeachThis beach is so huge that it can host a lot of people. If you are in Chennai then definitely come to visit Marina Beach. It is the most famous tourist attraction of Chennai. There are many food stalls and shopping stalls around the beach. Visit around the morning and evening hours for a spectacular view of the sunrise and sunset.
VGP Universal KingdomThere is a snow park, aquarium, kids zone and food court.
Snow ParkIt is a long hall filled with snow, two sliders are available for adults and one for children. They give you a coat with headcover, shoes and gloves with socks.
AquariumThe aquarium has an underwater tunnel where you can see fish and sharks. There is a large collection of unusual fish, turtles and sting rays.
Food courtEntry Ticket Price: INR 600/- for adults Timings: – Every day is open 9 AM to 5 PM (Except Tuesday)
Dr MGR MemorialIt is one of the ancient monuments located near Marina Beach. This place brings back memories of Dr. MGR and Jayalalithaa. It is a modern mausoleum cum monument with a beautiful park surrounding its premises with a variety of flowers. Entry Ticket Price: No Entry Fee Timings: – Every day is open 6:30 AM to 9:30 PM
Queensland Amusement ParkA great place to have fun with friends and family. There are many types of swings available for adults and children. Water falls and swimming pool are also available where you can take a bath. Try to plan on weekdays to cover them all. Entry Ticket Price: INR 550/- for adults & INR 450/- for Children Timings: – Saturday & Sunday is open 9:30 AM to 7 PM – Tuesday to Friday is open 9:30 am to 6 pm and Monday is closed
Semmozhi PoongaIt is a small park in the middle of the city. Here you can find different types of plants and trees from all over India. This is a very beautiful place to hang out with family and spend time amidst greenery. Entry Ticket Price: INR 25/- per persons Timings: – Every day is open 10 AM to 6 PM
Guindy National ParkGuindy National Park is situated at city center. There are many types of animals, birds, fish and trees. It\’s a good place to spend some time with family and especially suits for children. Entry Ticket Price: INR 20/- for adults and INR 5/- for children\’s Timings: – Every day is open 9 AM to 5:30 PM
Arulmigu Sri Parthasarathy Perumal Temple TiruvallikeniGreat place to cherish our heritage. It is one of the 108 Divya Desams. Here Partha the charioteer is the main deity, who is also accompanied by his grandson. It is one of the oldest and most revered Hindu temples in Chennai. Timings: – Every day is open 6 AM to 12 PM and 4 pm to 9 pm
Snow KingdomSnow Kingdom is one of the amazing places in Chennai. It is a good place to visit with family and friends. Here the main attractions are Click art museum, 12 experience and adventure. Entry Ticket Price: INR 650/- for adults and INR 600/- for children\’s Online Ticket Book Here Timings: – Every day is open 10 AM to 8 PM Go and enjoy the places. Nearby City: Best Places to Visit in Hyderabad | 10+ Topmost Tourist Places
Top 10 Tourist Places in ChennaiChennai, also known as Madras, is a vibrant city located on the east coast of India. The city is known for its rich cultural heritage, beautiful beaches, historic landmarks, and mouth-watering cuisine. Here are the top 10 tourist places in Chennai:
- Marina Beach – It is the longest beach in India and a popular spot for locals and tourists alike.
- Kapaleeswarar Temple – This ancient Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva is a must-visit for its beautiful architecture and religious significance.
- Fort St. George – This 17th-century fort built by the British is now a museum that houses artifacts from the colonial period.
- Government Museum – It is one of the oldest and largest museums in India and features a vast collection of art, archaeology, and natural history.
- St. Thomas Mount – This hilltop spot is believed to be where St. Thomas, one of the twelve apostles of Jesus Christ, was martyred. The mount offers a breathtaking view of the city.
- Vivekananda House – This historic building was once the residence of Swami Vivekananda, a renowned Indian philosopher and spiritual leader.
- Theosophical Society – It is a serene and peaceful place that promotes spiritual and intellectual inquiry.
- Mahabalipuram – This ancient town located about 60 km south of Chennai is famous for its stunning rock-cut temples and monuments.
- Dakshinachitra – It is a cultural museum that showcases the art, crafts, and architecture of South India.
- Birla Planetarium – It is a popular attraction that features shows on astronomy and space science.
Nearby places to visit ChennaiThere are many such great places that we have listed above. Now, let\’s see there are so many good places to visit near Chennai within 100 kms. In this section of this article we are recommend you to roam such great places to visit near Chennai.
Places to visit near ChennaiChennai is surrounded by many tourist destinations that are perfect for day trips or weekend getaways. Here are some of the top places to visit near Chennai:
- Mahabalipuram – This ancient town located about 60 km south of Chennai is famous for its stunning rock-cut temples and monuments.
- Kanchipuram – Known as the “City of a Thousand Temples,” Kanchipuram is a sacred pilgrimage site for Hindus and is famous for its silk sarees.
- Pondicherry – This former French colony is located about 160 km south of Chennai and is known for its beautiful beaches, colonial architecture, and serene ashrams.
- Pulicat Lake – Located about 60 km north of Chennai, Pulicat Lake is the second-largest brackish water lake in India and is a popular spot for birdwatching and boating.
- Yelagiri Hills – Located about 230 km northwest of Chennai, Yelagiri Hills is a picturesque hill station that offers beautiful views and plenty of outdoor activities like trekking and boating.
- Vellore – Located about 140 km west of Chennai, Vellore is home to the historic Vellore Fort and the Sri Lakshmi Narsimha Swamy Temple.
- Tirupati – Located about 130 km northeast of Chennai, Tirupati is one of the most sacred pilgrimage sites in India and is home to the Sri Venkateswara Temple.
- Gingee Fort – Located about 160 km southwest of Chennai, Gingee Fort is a historic hill fort that offers stunning views and is known for its architectural brilliance.
- Horsley Hills – Located about 280 km southwest of Chennai, Horsley Hills is a scenic hill station that offers beautiful views and is known for its pleasant climate.
- Pichavaram Mangrove Forest – Located about 240 km south of Chennai, Pichavaram Mangrove Forest is a unique ecosystem that is home to a variety of flora and fauna and is a popular spot for boating and birdwatching.
Route Map of Places to Visit in ChennaiYou have so many accesses to reach Chennai: in which you have Air route, bus route and train route.
Train Station to reach ChennaiEveryone prefer Chennai Central Railway Station (MAS) which is situate at the city centre. This train station is well connecting with small and major cities.
Chennai Airport to Railway Station by RoadDistance from Chennai International Airport or Anna International Airport (MAA) to Chennai Central Railway Station is around 19.2 kms. It will take you around 47 minutes to reach the destination.
Reach Chennai from Delhi
By Air Route from Delhi
Delhi to Chennai flightThere is so many direct flights to Chennai from Delhi. You should take the flight from Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi (DEL) to Chennai International Airport, Chennai (MAA) which is located near the city. It will take you maximum 2:35 hours to 3 hours. Check Chennai Flight Time Scheduled: Ixigo App
By Train RouteDelhi to Chennai Tourist places: – There is so many direct train to Chennai from Delhi. You should take the train from New Delhi (NDLS) to Chennai (MAS) which is located in the city center. It will take you maximum 30 hours to 35 hours. There are also many train routes that connect with other Indian cities. Check Chennai Train Time Scheduled at ixigo Note: Please check train timings before planning to visit Chennai.
By Road Route from DelhiIt takes you around 38 hours to go by road. In the same way you can say that from Delhi to Chennai distance is around 2,190 kms.
Things to do in Chennai tourist placesChennai offers a plethora of experiences for tourists. Here are some things to do in the top tourist places in Chennai:
- Marina Beach – Take a stroll along the longest beach in India and enjoy the sea breeze. You can also indulge in various activities like horse riding, beach volleyball, and kite flying.
- Kapaleeswarar Temple – Explore the stunning architecture and intricate carvings of this ancient Hindu temple. You can also participate in the temple rituals and attend the evening aarti.
- Fort St. George – Visit the museum inside the fort that showcases the colonial history of Chennai. You can also explore the fort’s barracks, armoury, and the St. Mary’s Church.
- Government Museum – Marvel at the vast collection of art, archaeology, and natural history at one of the oldest and largest museums in India.
- St. Thomas Mount – Climb the hill and visit the church built on the spot where St. Thomas was martyred. You can also enjoy the panoramic view of the city from the hilltop.
- Vivekananda House – Learn about the life and teachings of Swami Vivekananda, a renowned Indian philosopher and spiritual leader.
- Theosophical Society – Take a guided tour of the society’s sprawling campus and explore its library, gardens, and temples.
- Mahabalipuram – Visit the ancient rock-cut temples and monuments that are a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You can also relax on the beach and indulge in water sports.
- Dakshinachitra – Learn about the art, crafts, and architecture of South India and participate in workshops on pottery, weaving, and painting.
- Birla Planetarium – Watch the mesmerizing shows on astronomy and space science at one of the most popular attractions in Chennai.
FAQs on Chennai Tourism
Chennai is the capital city of the southern state of Tamil Nadu in India. It is famous for its beautiful beaches, rich cultural heritage, and delicious food.
The best time to visit Chennai is from November to February when the weather is pleasant and suitable for outdoor activities.
Chennai can be reached by air, rail, and road. The Chennai International Airport is well-connected to major cities in India and abroad. The city is also well-connected by rail and road to major cities in India.
The popular tourist attractions in Chennai include the Marina Beach, Kapaleeswarar Temple, Fort St. George, Government Museum, and the Mahabalipuram UNESCO World Heritage site.
The popular things to do in Chennai include visiting the beaches, exploring the historical monuments, enjoying the local cuisine, shopping in the local markets, and experiencing the traditional dance and music performances.
Chennai is famous for its South Indian cuisine, which includes dishes like idli, dosa, sambar, and rasam. The city is also known for its filter coffee and sweets like Mysore pak and laddu.
Yes, there are several accommodations available in Chennai including hotels, resorts, and guesthouses. However, it is advisable to book in advance, especially during peak tourist season.